Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Is there truly any winners?

With all of the recent information for the election an the election iteself coming up, it makes me wonder if there really are any "winners" once it is all said and done. Each party has picked a candidate that they feel has the best chances of winning, not necessarily what they as a party actually want.

With each election, the debates get more and more mean spirited; they also get farther and farther from what they were in the past. In the past, a debate was a way for each candidate to distinguish themselves from the rest by giving their HONEST feelings to questions posed by THE PEOPLE, not one party or another. This was a time to show their worth to the voters, not at how much they are not as bad as the other candidate.

In many of the recent years I have seen many of my friends pick one side the other, and then start bickering to the point of screaming at each other. There are times when they stop talking to each other completely until after the election is over. I have family members that have told us that they "can't help" their mother when she was ill, because of "those damn republicans" making them pay for some of their own health insurance.

To be honest, I am sick of it. The President of the United States should unify our country, not divide it. He should stand to the world as a leader of our country, representing our ideals, hopes, and will. Instead, he/she will always be the head of their party. I guess I will keep going back to a letter George Washington wrote right before he left office (voluntarily, which was against the people's wishes) in which he warned the country about the dangers of having a two-party political system. And you know what, he was right, on every count.

3 comments:

  1. I voted this past Tuesday and I couldn't agree with you more. I think our country is getting further away from what will actually help us out just because they want to win. You make some really good points, I found a lot of your info interesting. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stated this really well. For the first time ever, I watched the presidential debate, and in ways it just confused me more as a first time presidential election voter. Both candidates were discussing the same topic and using two completely opposite figures. How does that even work? Are US citizens suppose to watch this to learn the views about each candidate? One minute I find the topic of politics to be very intriguing, and then the next I'm so turned off by it. Politics really does create war between individuals, within families and other relationships. I truly believe in what Washington said, which is nearly the only thing I remember from history class back in high school. Any individual running for presidency should have the country in there best interest, not the idea of pleasing and following there party lines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a hundred percent correct on this and this was a great topic to write about. I absolutally hate talking politics with people and listening to all the stupid advertizements that try to get to the point of one view or the other. Thank Goodness its over for a little while.

    ReplyDelete